How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 40142
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband passed away. I know that I am entitled to the greater

Customer Question

my husband passed away. I know that I am entitled to the greater of our SS payments. My husands was $1,345.20 which included a deduction of $63.80 for prescription drugs besides the medicare payment of $104.90. Mine is $1,358.00. The payment I am receiving is $1,446.00 which includes $88.00 widow's benefit. Shouldn't I receive $1,497.00 which would show the $63.80 returned to his payment making it a total of $1,409.00?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. You should receive the higher of the two amounts--either yours based on wages or his based on you being his widow.You should have a higher gross here as you state because his medicare premium would not be taken out.If you are 64 here thought you will also have a medicare premium if you are receiving it. I don't disagree with your math here it should be $1,409 assuming they aren't charging you medicare for yourself.I would not give up on this, it sounds like you may be due more money here as you state.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
You were also due a one time death payment. A surviving spouse or child may receive a special lump-sum death payment of $255 if they meet certain requirements.Generally, the lump-sum is paid to the surviving spouse who was living in the same household with the worker when he or she died. If they were living apart, the surviving spouse can still receive the lump-sum if, during the month the worker died, he or she:was already receiving benefits on the worker's record; orbecame eligible for benefits upon the worker's death.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
Here are the medicare premiums for 2016, not sure if you are of age to receive medicare, but this would come out of your check for your premium.
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.
You can try these guys by phone again rather than a trip. call us toll-freeat1-***-***-****(for the deaf or hard ofhearing, call our TTY number,1-***-***-****).We can answer case-specific questions from7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday.Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait timeif you call after Tuesday. I do appreciate the chance to help you.Please let me know if you have more follow up.