Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

How do I get access to my deceased relative's checking

Customer Question

How do I get access to my deceased relative's checking account if my name isn't on the account?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. In order to gain access to the deceased's checking account, you would have to open the person's estate and be appointed as the representative of the estate. Once you are appointed, you can act in all capacities and conduct all business for the estate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if my son had POA can I still be appointed rep of the estate and my can’t I just find out the amount in the account
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
A POA expires when a person dies, so it would not be effective any longer.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.