Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

My estranged husband just died. I gave his mother next of kin

Customer Question

My estranged husband just died. I gave his mother next of kin rights. Will this effect his life insurance and pension, he put next of kin as the beneficiary. We have a minor child. He resided in Indiana.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. My condolences for your loss.In what context did you give next of kin rights to her? The pension and life insurance do not name a specific beneficiary?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
At the funeral home, so arrangements could be made. Life insurance and pension named next of kin.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Does the document you signed specify that it was for funereal purposes only?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will have to contact the funeral home for that information as I am not certain.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information.I strongly expect that what you signed was for funereal purposes, only, if the document was provided by the funeral home. Therefore, it should not have any effect on your claims on the pension and insurance.You should let the funeral home know in writing that the consent you gave was for funeral arrangements only and not to be construed as a waiver of any legal claims you may have to the assets of the estate or other accounts.Contact the insurance company and pension administrator first thing Monday to submit your claim as next of kin.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Are you still online with me?
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Did you have further questions before you rate my service to you?