Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My husband went to a nursing home in Sept 2015. He was put

Customer Question

My husband went to a nursing home in Sept 2015. He was put there by the hospital and doctor who said I could no longer care for him at home. I told them we could not afford a nursing home but they said I could apply for medicaid who would charge us what we could afford when they made their decision. They decided in December and now are charging me $34,000.00 which was the entire amount in our checking account. The checking account contained retirement salaries for both my husband and me. Do you know anyone I can contact in Fort Collins CO who can tell me if this is legal or I was just stupid in how I applied for it and got screwed.
Thanks
Jeanine Fortun
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Hello Jeanine: You would need an elder law Attorney to review the documents you signed with the nursing home to see what can be done. I cannot make personal referrals. It is verysuspicious that the amount that you were charged just happened to be the total amount in your checking account. That appears on its face to be quite wrong and shady especially since the funds in the account are from your retirement benefits. You can use the following sites to find local elder law Attorneys: NAELA.org Lawyers.com Justia.com Findlaw.com Best wishes, Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.