RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

Just got a letter from lawyer wanting me to sign a letter

Customer Question

Hello just got a letter from lawyer wanting me to sign a letter with assent and waiver of notice and renunciation about relative's estate
JA: The Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Estate Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: don't know much except everyone on that side of family died including grandchildren and this lawyer was contacted by someone stating to be his step mother and lawyer had a search done and found myself and sisters living and has sent out notices he says he is going to be appointed by court this is in mass.
JA: I have an older sister, she moved to the East coast years ago.
Customer: It looks like I should contact a lawyer myself
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Estate Lawyer should know?
Customer: Don't really know what are the important questions to be asking
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 10 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today You don't have to sign anything here.This protects your rights and you will receive notice of everything. I would contact the Surrogate Court in Mass and ask for copies of everything in the file.There may be a will, orders, an inventory of assets, etc.Then you can locate a local lawyer to represent you.Don't sign anything here for awhile get the documents and let the lawyer review them and then decide whether to do so. Here is contact information for the courts. http://www.mass-doc.com/probate_court_dir.htm
Lawyer referral for you here. http://www.massbar.org/for-the-public/need-a-lawyer Thanks again for the chance to help.
You can also try searching online here too. http://wills.about.com/od/Massachusetts-Probate-Records/qt/How-to-Obtain-Copies-of-Probate-Documents-in-Massachusetts.htm
I would not sing any waivers here, they may waive your rights as an heir and you want to receive notices and be involved here to know what assets are and whats going on and to ensure you get what you are due.Thanks again.
I would not sign any waivers here, they may waive your rights as an heir and you want to receive notices and be involved here to know what assets are and whats going on and to ensure you get what you are due.Thanks again. If you can positive rate when we are done it is always much appreciated.