Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate

My father put me on his bank account years ago as a signer.

Customer Question

my father put me on his bank account years ago as a signer. I am now the executor of his trust. does the bank account belong to me or the trust?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Was this as a signer or as a joint owner?.Was the account in the trust's name or father's name personally?.And is there a trust and a will? (you used the term executor which goes with a will, a trustee manages a trust)..thanksBarrister
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
joint owner - Fathers name and my name - Yes there is a trust and will
Thank you. I don't mean to be nit picky, but the terminology is kind of important in a situation like this..Ok, if you were a joint owner, then when father passed, the account and anything in it becomes your sole property and doesn't go through probate..In order for the account to be in the trust, it would actually have to be titled to the trust so the trust owned it. .But if you were just an authorized signer on the account, not an actual joint owner, then the account would go into father's estate to be distributed according to his will once all debts of the estate had been paid...thanksBarrister