Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

I have been named both the Executrix and Beneficiary of an

Customer Question

I have been named both the Executrix and Beneficiary of an estate. The will is dated 1990 and no other will was later filed? My Question is am I responsible to hire and pay for a Lawyer to represent me and all the filings required to complete this probate? There is money involved and enough in the estate account to pay the lawyer; I just don't have the cash myself.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Does the will contain a provision, as many do, allowing the executor to hire professionals from the estate assets.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Are you online with me
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If you are not going to answer my question please tell me so I can get other help.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It seem so.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information.Then, yes, you can retain counsel and pay from the estate assets when you are appointed executrix. The attorney, after seeing the will, should consent to do the initial filing and your appointment, with the expectation that he or she will receive a retainer once you have been appointed and have access to the estate accounts.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
If the attorney will not proceed under those circumstances, there are plenty who will. If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys) . Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspxIt is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.
If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.