Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.

In 1989 in the state of CT. My mother took Money that was

Customer Question

In 1989 in the state of CT. My mother took Money that was set in an inheritance for my sister and I from our Grand Parents. We were to get the money when we turned 25. I am now 40 years old and often wonder if there is anything that can be done for the wrong doing of my mother for using portions of our money out of the inheritance. We did not get all that was left for the reason my mother used it back in 88 and 89. Is there anything we can do about this situation?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon Michelle. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. I'm so sorry this occurred. Your mother is obviously culpable and you could bring a suit against her if she won't make this up to you. BUT, the problem is that you would be beyond the time period of any statute of limitations that would be applicable...breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, theft, conversion, breach of contract. So, though the fact that the statutes of limitations have run would not prevent you from filing the suit, that fact would give her an absolute defense to any such suit. This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. But, I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you. ………..I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry! Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!