Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney with education focus on estate planning and tax
84496330

Me and my brother just accepted a offer on our dads house-our

Customer Question

me and my brother just accepted a offer on our dads house-our realtor ask if my brother did my dad have anymore kids,yes I had a sister who die 10 years ago.She ask did she have kids yes 1.He has had no contact with us nor has he helped in anyway with taxes bills or irs back taxes from my dad,or up keep of the property.Any suggestions? thanks ***** *****
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 7 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. A couple of questions:What state are you from? Was there a will? If there was a will did it mention your sister or her child? Was this property's deed held in your father's name only?
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. I will have to give you general answers since you did not answer my follow up questions. If there was a will in this case leaving the house to you and your brother specifically, then the house is yours outright. Your sister or her child needs to be mentioned in the will as well, either giving her or the child nothing or whatever it may be or they will have a chance to ask for a forced share from the probate court. IF there was no will then it will pass according to intestate succession (state law). This would mean that it is likely that your sister's child will have a right to a part of the property as it is likely that each child would get 1/3 of the house and your sister's 1/3 would pass to the child. This will depend on your particular state law. So if this is the case, the child will need to sign off on the sale and probably owns a portion of the property. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?