Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters

My father and step-mother had a $1,000,000 (estimate) estate

Customer Question

My father and step-mother had a $1,000,000 (estimate) estate when he passed in Dec. 2005 at age 89. They had talked to me about their will structure several years earlier. Since she survived him, all was passed to her. Their final intent was to have everything liquidated and the money divided equally among her 3 children and my sister and myself. Her eldest son was named executor of the will. My step-mother passed away 6 months ago, but my sister and I have not heard anything. Her children and my sister and I never had a close relationship. I do not know if the will and "their" intent had changed after my dad's death. If the executor had the will changed to benefit only his side of the family, do we stand any chance to claim any portion of what my father worked so hard to establish? I had remained in contact with my step-mother until the time of her passing, and she never gave me any indication that things had changed. I would appreciate the opportunity to elaborate on my father's professional achievements, his hard work and family sacrifices to attain his comfortable retirement.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you today.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Have you contacted the clerk of the court to see if a will was filed or admitted to probate?
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Are you online with me?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Where are you located and are you practicing in Wisconsin?
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
I am In Illinois, but the issues for which you are seeking information are not really specific to Wisconsin law.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
Are you still online with me? Did you wish to continue?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm at work and didn't expect such a quick response.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.
I am here to answer your questions accurately and quickly. We can also, for an extra charge, speak by telephone if that is easier for you.