Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters

I have a life estate on my home that is owned by my step sons

Customer Question

I have a life estate on my home that is owned by my step sons in Texas. If I keep paying the mortgage, insurance, taxes for however long, what credits do I receive upon selling the house.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 6 months ago.
As a life tenant, your sole interest in the property is the right of possession during your lifetime. The property cannot be sold unless you join in the sale. If the stepsons want to sell the property now, they will have to negotiate with you, so that is your leverage to negotiate a part of the net selling price.I hope that this information is helpful and that you will assign it a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you.