Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney with education focus on estate planning and tax

My mother passed away in june leaving her house to my sister

Customer Question

My mother passed away in june leaving her house to my sister and myself. I have been maintaining the prperty and paying all the bills. My sister has her own house,while i sold mine 3 years ago. There was a trustee left to so calledhelp with the aftrmath. I have been busy repairing and paying thousands of dollars for labor help. I am also a licensed general contractor. While i want to hold on to the property it is a three way decision making process. I have just received a message from the trustee who i happen to know wants to sell the house as fast as possible as doesmy sister, that they have so called given methree weeks to move out. I beleive this is not only not legal and while I can be persuaded to agree to sell the house, that 3 weeks is not an acceptable amount of time to vacate. Especially on one days notice and now that I seriously beleive that my sister and the trustee are working together in order to get paid fast as possible. Do not I have at least 2 momths to mobe out after notice as i am one third owner?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 6 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. Do you have a lease? How long have you lived there?
Are you there? If you can answer my questions, I can get you an answer.
If you do not have a lease and have lived in the house more than 30 days then you would have the rights of a tenant. You would be considered to be on a month to month rental. That would mean that if you have lived there for more than a year you would have to be given 60 days notice to vacate, if less than a year then 30 days notice is appropriate. Also if you are 1/3 owner and this has officially passed to you then you cannot be evicted or asked to leave. You have the right to 100% of the house just as the other owners do. If ownership of the house has not passed then you can be asked to leave. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces and numbers from 1 through 5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will only ensure that I am compensated by the site for my time.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?