Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Estate Law Expert

My 33 yr old single daughter died. She did not have a will,

Customer Question

My 33 yr old single daughter died. She did not have a will, she owned no property, was overdrawn in her bank account, and owed credit cards and other creditors, and back taxes to the IRS. She was insolvent as she was a drug addict and every penny went to drugs thus causing all the unpaid debt. Is it necessary to file a federal tax return? She will owe for this year and for back years' taxes. There is nothing available to pay since her account was overdrawn and all other debt was also delinquent. Do I need to notify the government that she is deceased and has no estate or just not bother filiing a tax return which will end up in payment due in addition to the prior years payment due and penalties and interest?
Again she owned nothing, lived out of suitcases, a gypsy. Spent everything on drugs.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. First, let me offer condolences on the part of myself and the JustAnswer family for your loss. As to your question, there is really no obligation on your part to do anything. You can send the IRS a letter if you want to do so but there really is nothing that they can do against anyone. The only way you would want to get involved is if there was some kind of property you were trying to get the title to but if not then you really don't have any obligation to do anything since she was over 18. If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread.