Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

I'm 58 year woman, my mother ,on her death bed told me the

Customer Question

I'm 58 year woman, my mother ,on her death bed told me the name of my biological father...can I Sue for DNA proof to prove he is in fact my father. He lives in Texas and conception was in Washington state I live in California now...would I have to move to Texas to get my DNA suit done??
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..Unfortunately, the time limit to prove paternity expires when a child turns 18 so there would not be any way to legally force your potential father to submit to a DNA test. If your mother chose not to pursue any type of paternity lawsuit prior to you turning 18, it would be too late to do so now..The man could agree to a voluntary DNA test if he chose to do so, but he couldn't be compelled by law..I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy.....thanksBarrister