RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

What documentation is needed to get a Surrogate's Certificate

Customer Question

What documentation is needed to get a Surrogate's Certificate in Florida for unclaimed property in New Jersey?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. Can you tell me if the deceased person was resident of Florida or NJ and do you know roughly how much there is here money wise?
Was there any probate anywhere opened??
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The deceased was a resident of Florida when they passed, they had resided in NJ when the policy with Prudential was initiated. There are 2 amounts totaling @ $11,00.00.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There was no probate that we know of.
For an amount over $10k you are looking at opening probate here in the county in Florida where they deceased.You need a a local probate lawyer to do this.Forms are not available to do this on your own pro se. You make application for probate and are appointed personal representative.Once appointed you claim the funds with yours letters of appointment received from probate court.You will need a death certificate for the lawyer to make application.You need to know here that any creditors would have ability to file creditor claims in probate before the heirs get whats left. No way around probate here I am afraid and a local lawyer. Reference https://www.floridabar.org/tfb/TFBConsum.nsf/48e76203493b82ad852567090070c9b9/92f75229484644c985256b2f006c5a7a?OpenDocument Lawyer Referral Service Online - Available 24/7Phone(###) ###-####onday through Friday8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. You can locate a lawyer from the state bar above. I very much appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again. You can claim the funds once you are appointed in probate court as personal representative of the estate here.