LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have more than 25 years of experience in the practice of law.

My coworkers husband passed away and most of bills and home

Customer Question

My coworkers husband passed away and most of bills and home mortgage is under he's name only. What does she need to do get things transferred to her name. They have a 4 year old son.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your friend's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Under federal law, your friend has the right to continue to pay the mortgage so long as they continue to use the home as their primary residence. She will need to file probate with the local court so that she can have the property transferred into her name. But because she is the heir and spouse of her deceased husband, so long as she pays the mortgage the lender may not foreclose or seek to accelerate the loan, even if it was in her husband's name alone. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug