Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Estate Law Expert

Do you need to be next of kin to get power of attorney for

Customer Question

Do you need to be next of kin to get power of attorney for bank in America
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. No, absolutely not. Anyone can be a power of attorney for someone else. They can be next of kin, a more distant relative, or just a friend.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok how soon can the power of attorney go into effect and the bank my partner has account in tells him that I need to be next of kin to be power of attorney
A power of attorney is effective as soon as it is signed. The bank is incorrect. You may have to be next of kin to use their form but there is no requirement under the law that a POA be the next of kin. The CA statutes dealing with POAs are at You can see in the statutes that there are no requirements that the POA be the next of kin.