Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate

My wife and I lost our signed copys of our last will and testament.

Customer Question

my wife and I lost our signed copys of our last will and testament. were can a copy be found?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..It is very unlikely that your attorney would have had a signed copy of your wills because when an estate attorney drafts a will, they deliver the unsigned document to the client and then the client takes it to be executed. The the client puts the original in a safe place. So the attorney doesn't have a signed copy unless the client actually gives them one..There is no repository where wills are filed in FL to hold them prior to being admitted to probate. So unless you gave a copy to the attorney who prepared it, or to someone else, then you wouldn't be able to locate one..If you can still contact the attorney who drafted it for you, you could probably get a new unsigned copy and then just sign it and have it witnessed so you have a new original copy...thanksBarrister