Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

My 99 year old aunt died last year in chicago. I am next of

Customer Question

my 99 year old aunt died last year in chicago. I am next of kin, she named my mother as executor but my mother died 10 years ago. I have death certificates for both people, am I legally bound to do anything?
Sjhe had a pension that ended at her death and she had a bank account that paid a monthly fee to the nursing home she was in.
That account is probably her only asset. I cannot show standing to learn about the account.
I figure if it had value then the nursing home would have taken control of it for their expenses. They did not.
How can I evaluate the account?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..am I legally bound to do anything?.No, you have no legal duty to do anything and can simply walk away from the entire situation if you choose to do so..You might be able to get ahold of one of her statements from the bank so you can get an idea of what is in the account or pick up any new monthly statement if has them mailed to her..But you would have to file a formal probate case to settle her estate if you wanted to get those proceeds. And if she had any outstanding debts owed, those would have to be paid first before you could receive anything. If she was on Medicaid paying for long term nursing care, then the max that could be in the account would be $2K so I don't know if that would be worth the time and trouble of filing a probate case to claim it....thanksBarrister