LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney
Experience:  Private Practice; Elder Law Attorney; Estate Planning; Attorney Mentor
63726236

I had done a trust children a few years ago but I lost

Customer Question

I had done a trust for my children a few years ago but I lost all the paperwork. Is my trust registered somewhere and can I get a copy? I am no longer in touch with the attorney who wrote the trust.
Lina
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
There is no registry for trusts;Any property held in trust would state that on the deed (for example, real estate) If the attorney is still in business, then the firm can be contacted, as even if the attorney is no longer employed there, the firm may have a copy. Under 16061.5 the court may allow a copy of a trust to be introduced, but if the trustor is still alive that is never recommended; rather the proper course of action is to prepare a new trust to ensure that the property goes to the intended heirs.
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer.I hope the information provided was useful.Here is a link to the bar association's legal referral site:http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/lris/directory/Should you have further questions please post here; otherwise kindly--- Rate Positively---so the site credits me for assisting you.Thank you and take care!