Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

I am on step 3 of the probate forms [annual final accounting]

Customer Question

I am on step 3 of the probate forms [annual final accounting] and during this whole probate process my mother in-law only left a home...all assets where sold prior to her death and home was willed to my husband and sister in-law. My question is since it is not part of the estate I'm wondering if part 1 number 5 Total Assets should be zero or should I fill in the value of the home which is 83,000. Is this part 1 talking about assets and properties in the Estate? There is nothing in estate. She owed nothing and only had home which we plan on selling in the future.
JA: OK. The Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Estate Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: And if I put the 83,000. on line 5 does this mean I will have to file annual instead of final on this last step 3since line 9 will not equal zero. I live in burke county nc.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Estate Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..The house is an asset of the estate because she owned it when she passed. The fact that she left it to someone in a will doesn't take it out of the estate until it is actually settled, all debts are paid, all taxes filed, clearance is authorized by the state and IRS and then the house is transferred out of the estate to the beneficiaries of the will..So yes, the house would be listed as an asset of the estate...thanksBarrister