Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  Estate planning and wealth preservation attorney.
63724254

My fiance died and left everything to his only brother. We

Customer Question

My fiance died and left everything to his only brother. We lived together for 12 years and were together for 25 years. Am I entitled to receive anything from his estate even though I was not in his will? His brother made him copy a sample of the will in his own handwriting leaving everything to him. There must be something I am entitled to. I know there is no common law in Louisiana but is there another law that is similar?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 9 months ago.
When was the will created?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm not sure of the date but it was a couple of years ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can't see your answer
The will governs distribution of assets of an estate. Louisiana does not recognize common law marriage. You could challenge the will as it being fraudulent, signed under undue influence and should not be valid. Otherwise, the will governs the distribution of the estate.I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that i may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.