Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate

I had a good friend that was sick and could no longer use s

Customer Question

I had a good friend that was sick and could no longer use his pontoon boat. He gave me permission in writing to use the boat as long as I maintained it. A few days ago he passed away and the neighbors said I could no longer use it until his will was settled. It may take years to settle his will because one of his son’s is in jail for life and the other son cannot be found. Do I have the right to use the Pontoon until the case is settled? Ron Gabalis North Port, Florida. 34287
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

I would opine that you can still legally use the boat until a representative of the estate contacts you and formally revokes the permission granted by the deceased. His written permission would act as a continuing license for your use and since it has no expiration, it would continue until revoked by someone who has legal authority to do so on behalf of the estate.