RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law

My Father died in 2001. I am s only living child. Can my

Customer Question

My Father died in 2001. I am his only living child. Can my Step-Mother, now in her 90's leave all of my Father's estate to her living children. Shutting me out entirely?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 6 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight.

If your mother inherited everything from your dad and she wills it to others I am afraid you would not inherit anything.Your father should have left you something, this is a common problem trusting a step mother to be fair when the reality is you get left out.If it makes you feel better I have been down that road personally and it is painful.

I hate giving people bad news, but I know you want an honest answer based on California law and the widow here can will it it whoever she wants.I know it is unfair but it is legal.

Again I am sorry to have to give you bad news, please don't shoot the messenger.

Thanks for letting me provide you the information you asked for.