How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 115461
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I HAVE A WILL WRITTEN BY LEGALZOOM & want to make a change

Customer Question

i HAVE A WILL WRITTEN BY LEGALZOOM & want to make a change in the dependents. How can I do that? D. White
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Actually, it is fairly simple for you to change it yourself. You can do this in one of two ways. The first way is you can write a one page document called an "addendum to will" which you would type out and you would have to go to the notary and sign in front of witnesses. The addendum would state that "As of X date, I, your name, hereby amends my will dated (date of will) as follows: list your amendments," then sign in front of the notary and witnesses.
The safest way is to copy the will you have and rewrite your will that you have and make the changes in that will, go to the notary and sign in front of them and witnesses. Then destroy the original will. This is safer as it prevents anyone from challenging the addendum or the addendum getting lost.
You do not need to get anyone else to do this for you, you can do it yourself.

Related Estate Law Questions