Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

I know that I am supposed to inherit a large inheritance but

Customer Question

I know that I am supposed to inherit a large inheritance but I have been defrauded out of it. Unfortunately I do not know the name of the bank involved. Is there any way to investigate.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Can you give me some more of the back story here?

.

Who did you inherit from?

.

Is there a will involved?

.

Has anyone filed a probate case to settle the estate of the deceased?

.

What did the bank do that you feel defrauded you?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Unfortunately I do not have much information except that it was a large amount of money and world banks were involved.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are inheritances a matter of public record or is it possible to investigate the paper trail.

Ok, that doesn't really give very much to go on if you aren't aware of who you would have inherited from...

.

If you know who you would inherit from, like a parent or other relative, then any probate records regarding the estate and what assets went where are public records kept in the local probate court in the county where the person passed. Anyone can access them and get a copy of the entire file which will contain any will that might have named you as a beneficiary.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is it possible to do a search of these records for my name?

Possibly, but you would have to know where the deceased person lived and what county they lived in as that would be the probate court that had jurisdiction over the case and where any records would be located. Any probate case has to be filed in the county where the deceased lived.

.

Some of the county probate courts have online records searches available, but if not, you could either go and search their records yourself or if it was in a different state or far away, have a paralegal or attorney go and do a search for you..

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can this be done in other countries

I would assume so, but I am in the US and don't have any ideas about how other country's laws work.

.

But you have to have some information to go on in starting any investigation. If you just woke up one morning and had a feeling that you were entitled to inherit a lot of money from someone, but you don't know who, then this isn't going to go anywhere because a hunch is not enough to even begin such an investigation.

.

.

thanks