P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including estate law.
11181181

My question is concerning equitable distribution of property

Customer Question

My question is concerning equitable distribution of property during a divorce in North Carolina and specifically....if a husband receives an inheritance from a deceased parent during the course of a marriage and that marriage then dissolves...is the inheritance part of the marital property to be divided...is the wife due 50% of the inheritance?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 8 months ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help
What you are describing is "separate property"...so long as the husband keeps that property separate (so does not put in a joint account) he keeps that money if there is a divorce
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What if it was first placed in joint acct then moved it once he wanted out of marriage?
That makes it more complex...the issue will be if the court can "trace" it...if it is possible to trace it (show that it was not confused with deposits and withdrawals from the account, it is possible to claim it as separate property.
Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.Please rate the answer so I may receive credit
Thanks for your understanding
Phil