Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

How do I go about getting an injunction to get into a safe

Customer Question

How do I go about getting an injunction to get into a safe deposit box, my mom passed away, my dad is also dead, and so is my mom's only sister I have no family left other than my sister Jennifer which I have not heard from her in over 20 years. Mom left everything to me in her will but the key to the safe deposit box is gone it was blown away in the tornado of 2008 when it took my parents home.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

In order to be able to access the safe deposit box, you will have to get an order from a judge telling the bank to give you access. In order to do that, you will have to file a probate case in the local probate court where mother lived so you can be named Executor of the estate. You would then have the authority to gather all the estate assets, including any safe deposit box contents. Then you would be responsible for paying any debts or bills of mother, filing any taxes, and then distributing any surplus assets to the beneficiaries of her will, which would be you.

.

.

thanks