How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 33195
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husbands mother passed away 7 years ago. As of right now

Customer Question

My husbands mother passed away 7 years ago. As of right now nothing has been done with the house or the two(2) lots of land she owned; both are still in here name. How do we get the house in his brothers name? How do we get the land in my husbands name?
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.


Someone will have to file a probate case to be appointed representative of the estate so that they can gather all her assets, pay any debts or bills, file any final taxes, and then distribute the assets of the estate to either the beneficiaries of her will or to her heirs at law if she had no will.


The person who was filing to be appointed would have to file in the county probate court where she lived. If there was no will in place, then if the sons were the only children, then they would split the estate evenly. If they wanted to work out an agreement between them for one to take the house and the other to take the land, then they could do so either while the estate was being settled or after.





Related Estate Law Questions