RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law

My wife passed away last month in the hospital. Just got a

Customer Question

My wife passed away last month in the hospital. Just got a bill in her name for about $20,000 from the hospital and the specialist. I don't have that kind of money. Will these medical bills hurt my credit?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 7 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Give me a minute to get your answer here.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
BTW I live in Houston TX
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The only thing we owed together was a 2007 Toyota solara and a 2007 Chevy silverado truck
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm a service connected disabled veteran and get social security

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

I would suggest that you leave titles as they are and keep driving them.If you were to open probate the creditors likely try to force a sale and it gets applied to the bill.Tell them she died insolvent and no probate is anticipated.Unless you signed some guarantee of payment they have to close their files here nothing to collect against and they cannot hold you liable.

This seems like the prudent way to proceed here under the circumstances.If the vehicles in both names you can drive them until they die but cannot get clear title without probate here in Texas.

They cannot sue you nor garnish your VA or social security under Texas law.

I appreciate your patience today.Thanks again.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We had a 2015 RV that I sold to pay for some of the funeral home expenses had hers and my names on title
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
More worried about my credit score than my cash
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Had to get a form stating she had passed notarized

Well you can sign her name here to car titles and change title and avoid probate.

They really cannot do anything to you if you write them and tell them she died insolvent and no probate is planned.Ask t hem to close their files as uncollectible.Thats the best way to try and get them off your case for her debt here. They cannot ding your credit for this.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you so very much for your help. Will ask for you in the future.

You are so welcome just post for Ray only. I grew up in Houston, Astros look real good this year.

If you can positive rate it is always much appreciated.