Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

My mother had a revocable living trust and made my younger

Customer Question

My mother had a revocable living trust and made my younger sister and brother as co-executors. My sister received a key to her safe deposit box with very valuable jewelry and my brother refused a key. I asked my sister to go see the safety deposit box and she kept denying me. My mother did leave me money in her will but by the time we opened the safety deposit box it was almost empty. I found a piece of paper wherein my Mom stated her valuable items and who should get them. She did NOT make this part of her will. Before my mother even died (she was in nursing home w/Alzheimer's) my greedy sister cleaned the place out totally (of course I was not told). I was so angry with my sister that she denied me some sentimental items out of Mom's house I couldn't see straight. Is there any recourse I can take. My mom died Sept. 2013. My atty. said I couldn't bring criminal charges against her....could I bring civil charges or has the statue of limitations run out. Pls. advise. Sincerely, Maria
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Good morning Maria. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attoney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

My condolences for your loss.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Was an estate opened in probate? Has probate closed?

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Are you online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

In any event, since your sister was a co-executor, you may have a claim against her for breach of fiduciary. The statute of limitations is 4 yrs. So, you may have another year, but you will want to start moving on the claim if it is your desire to move forward with it.

If you prevail, you may be entitled to attorney fees and punitive damages, as well as your actual damages.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys) . Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.