Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

My father died in 2000, he left me the home and the

Customer Question

my father died in 2000, he left me the home and the property. now my adopted mother has died and left the same property my two grand nieces. do I have a legal right to this property?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Sorry you are dealing with this situation. Where or not a legal claim to the title of the property can be sustained will depend on how the property was titled between the husband and the surviving spouse (your father and step-mother).

If property was titled as tenants in common then you may have a claim to your father's half of the property.

If the property was held as joint tenancy with right of survivorship, on death all the interest transfers to the surviving joint tenant and then that owner is 100% owner and may do as they wish with the property.

You will have to obtain a copy of the deed to the property and determine how the property was titled. If at anytime she was a joint tenant or became an owner in the property after his death, she may dispose of the property as she desires.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (3 stars or more). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right.