Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

A good friend of mine had made me s power of Attorney, n he

Customer Question

HI my name is***** good friend of mine had made me his power of Attorney, n he had made out his will. He had made both me n my mother his Benificiary . He just recently passed away 8 days ago, the union had just sent us out the papers to fill out n send back along with a death certificate .he has a Sibling that would not sign the papers to have him creamated, which were his wishes in his will, the crematory said I would have to talk things out with his sister n decide what we were to do, his sister didn't believe in creamation, she wanted a burial. Me , my mom n George , (my friend that had past)had talked about what he wanted done. So he wrote it down in his will. The crematory told me when I called, I better get a lawyer n act fast because the sister was pushing a fast burial, n I didn't have much time. The sister didn't to my knowledge put it in the paper, we didn't know where she buried him. She kept everything very quiet. Both me n my mother need a death certicate to send in to the insurance, n also for his bank. How do I go about getting his death certificate. Also, when we took the will n the Power of attorney papers to get them notarized, they had seen that he didn't have any assets, just what was in his bank account, so they told him since he had under $ 10,000 in assets he wouldn't need to have the will notarized. So its not notarized.what do I need to do to get those death certifites.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You would need to request a Certified Copy of the Death Certificate from Pennsylvania Department of Health, Division of Vital Records. Click on the link below for instructions:

http://www.health.pa.gov/MyRecords/Certificates/DeathCertificates/Pages/default.aspx#.VuFnjn0rKHs