California Lawyer
California Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed to practice law in California
19551178

If you have been on ssi ,an you inheriat30.000;can you keep

Customer Question

if you have been on ssi for years,an you inheriat30.000;can you keep it. I am 67 yrs.old an been disabled 28 years.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

Please confirm this - you mean to say that you have been on ssri anti depressant for many years ? Is this correct ?

Also kindly tell what was your diagnosis for which you were placed on ssri anti depressant and now since when have you been absolutely normal in terms of depression or whichever is your underlying diagnosis ? Were you formally diagnosed by a psychiatrist ?

Lastly you have inherited 30000 $ ? Is this correct ?

I shall get back to you once you reply to my queries.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i needed an attourney-not a doctor.i gave no indication of any kind ,except a lawyers advice. questions questionsyou ask for more money today to speak on phone .you have payment for misunderstanding my queston yesterday.why should you be paid for unrelated issues.you are a fraud,and stupid to scam the elderly.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

have you received the inheritance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I have not.if its to be taken away why bother? it was too be a gift from a relative in another state who has been given a few short months to live,due to cancer-she thought it would make my life and my own deteriated health better able to deal with as I am alone with no children or husband.i am diabetic type2,on insulin28yrs,have hypatic shunt in liver ,have a stematic electrikcompurtor wired from lower back to top meof spine and rheumatoid arthritis,hypertention an depression.my question to you is;if I take the gift,will ssi take it from me
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

to avoid losing the benefit, it is better if the inheritance goes to a trust rather than you personally, or otherwise you disclaim and it passes to children or other heirs.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if that is fast and clear.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Kindly rate me positively.

Expert:  California Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

The short answer is you may absolutely receive your $30,000, but it may imperil your SSI benefits. Under SSI you can have no more than $2,000 in countable assets ($3,000 if married). If you receive $30,000 in cash that will count and your benefits will stop. One thing you could do is receive it and immediately pay down debts or other obligations (like your mortgage). What you cannot do is put $30K in the bank and still receive SSI.

Here is some more info here: https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-resources-ussi.htm

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

DCG

Is there anything more I can do to assist you?

DCG