How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 53954
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Need a probate power of attorney as I live in Hawaii and my

Customer Question

need a probate power of attorney as I live in Hawaii and my mother was in Argentina and is deceased
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 8 months ago.

Hello there --


I am sorry to hear about this. Can you tell me what exactly it is you want to do with the power of attorney ? Do you want to give relatives in Argentina the right to act on your behalf to handle arrangements for your mother's funeral? Do you want to give the power for them to distribute any estate?



Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i want to give my attorneys in argentina the power to act on my behalf with the probate proceedings. My mother did not have a will. In Argentina the children inherite, by law. We are three sisters and we all agree
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
if I can have the form, I can complete the attorneys name as well as my mother information required in argentina, like document number
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can you help me with this?
Expert:  Legalease replied 8 months ago.

Hello again --


I am sorry but I actually do not think I can because the document must be legal in Hawaii where you sign it and then legal to use in Argentina so you might have to use an international notary through the US embassy in Argentina. This is the process when dealing with real estate transactions in most countries outside the US -- my suggestion here is that you ask your sisters or other family in Argentina to get a form from the probate court or the attorney handling the matter and ask the appropriate procedures for execution in Hawaii and use in Argentina. I might be erring on the side of caution here, but you want to make sure that the document is legal in Argentina and that is not a country where I am knowledgeable in their laws.


I am going to opt out and put your question BACK on the board in the event that another attorney can help you with these matters (we have many attorneys with many varied experiences, so you never know).


Best of Luck



Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My attorney said that a power written here would be legal there and it just needs to be signed by a notary there and they will take care of the translation there
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 8 months ago.

New Expert here.

Why have the attorneys in Argentina not provided you with the document you want? They should be able to do that.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can get a document in Spanish notarized here. That is why I need one in english
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 8 months ago.

You can get document in Spanish and have it translated and then notarized here.

Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Good morning Silvia. My name is Richard. Are you still looking for a Power of Attorney in English? Thanks.

Related Estate Law Questions