P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including estate law.
11181181

My wife passed and the mortuary told me that i am not

Customer Question

my wife passed and the mortuary told me that i am not responsible for debts in her name only. is this true?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for your loss

That is generally true.
FL is not a "community property state" (unlike CA, AZ and many west coast states). In community property state, a spouse can be held personally liable for debts of their spouse.

In FL, that is not generally true. The exception would be for medical costs...the law has allowed creditors to seek reimbursement for medical debts of a deceased spouse.

Other than that, if the debt in her name alone? You have no liability

Again, I am sorry for your loss

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.