RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

Parents have a home. Both parents are deceased. Before the

Customer Question

Parents have a home. Both parents are deceased. Before the father died he signed the house over to one of the daughters. That daughter has now deceased, there is only on living child. Does that child have any rights to that home in Tennessee.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

So I can properly answer your question, I want to make sure I understand correctly. The one remaining living child is the daughter of the father? Or are they the child of the daughter who got the home?

Did the daughter who inherited the home leave a spouse? Children?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The living daughter is the daughter of the father.Yes the daughter that inherited the home does have living children

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, the living daughter has no rights to the home now. When the father died, he gave title to the now recently deceased daughter, but the home doesn't "revert back" to his remaining child at his death. Instead, the home becomes part of the decedent's estate, and would typically pass to her heirs/beneficiaries through her will/trust or, if she doesn't have either, by operation of law, known as "intestate succession." Under Tennessee law, where a person has no will or trust, property in a decedent's estate would be inherited entirely by her children (divided equally among them).

Alternatively, if she had made one or more of her children joint owners of the home before she died, the house would pass directly to that child or children upon her death.

If you have further questions or need clarification about this matter, please reply, and I'll be happy to assist you. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave me a positive rating (3-5 stars) as that is the only way experts on this site are paid for our time and expertise, even if you have previously left a deposit. Thank you.