Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

In California the heir sold house during probate. Are the

Customer Question

In California the heir sold house during probate. Are the funds taxable as heir income by the state of California?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 9 months ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

No, you are not going to have any tax on these sale proceeds. The reason why is that at death, the basis of the property automatically gets adjusted to its fair market value and thus when you sold the house at their fair market value, there was no gain, and thus no tax. You do need to report the sale because the sale proceeds get reported to the IRS, so unless you report the sale and the adjusted basis (to fair market value), the IRS presumes the basis is zero and considers all the proceeds as gain.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!