Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

A friend and I purchased a home together as joint tenants.

Customer Question

A friend and I purchased a home together as joint tenants. Recently, my friend asked if her daughter could move in with us temporarily and I agreed. Now, she said that her boyfriend is also moving in with us and that there is nothing I can do to stop it. I'm trying to find out what my rights are here. Thank you.
JA: The Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, I just had the conversation with her and was researching about it.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Estate Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Estate Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: There are no agreements in writing in regards ***** ***** people moving in, or not. I originally was purchasing the property alone but we added her to the deed at closing. I paid the $954 in legal fees for closing and $10,000 down payment, the rest is owner financed $30,000 for ten years. My partner gave me her portion of the down payment at a later date $5,000 but did not share in the legal fees.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me what state this is in, please?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!