How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J. Warren Your Own Question
J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 2240
Experience:  Experience in estate planning including wills, trusts and succession planning.
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
J. Warren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I sell my home and buy another with my daughter and do

Customer Question

If I sell my home and buy another with my daughter and do not put my name on the title, what are the tax consequences?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

There would be potential capital gain taxes and possible gift tax implications as well. Let me explain: First, here is the rule for gain on the sale of a house: "For sale or exchanges after May 6, 1997, federal law allows an exclusion of gain on the sale of a personal residence in the amount of $250,000 ($500,000 if married filing jointly). The taxpayer must have owned and occupied the residence as a principal residence for at least 2 of the 5 years before the sale. California conforms to this provision. However, California taxpayers who served in the Peace Corps during the 5 year period ending on the date of the sale may reduce the 2 year period by the period of service, not to exceed 18 months." see: See the following passage California's FTB Publication 1001 at:

So if your gain (that is the net proceeds of the sale minus the original cost plus capital improvements) is more then the exempt amount, the amount over the exemption is subject to capital gain tax.

If you help a daughter purchase a new house and do not hold an interest in the property ( that is you are not on title), the IRS may treat this a gift and therefore would count against a person's lifetime exemption of giving away 5.45 million before the gift is taxed. A person may give away $5.45 million over the span of their lifetime and there is no gift tax owed. Beyond this amount the person giving the gift must pay gift taxes. Until the amount of gifts reach $5.45 then there is no tax gift liability. So for example if you buy a house worth $450,000 and do not become the owner but buy it for your daughter, the IRS could argue that you made a gift in the amount of $450,000 and therefore only have 5 million to gift during your lifetime before a tax would kick in. (Any amounts gifted to a single person in the amount over $14,000 is required to be reported on a gift tax return even if no taxes are due).

There is currently no California gift tax.

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (3 stars or more). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you.

Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.

Can I answer any additional follow up questions for you or clarify anything I have written above? If not, can you please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter? Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).