P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including estate law.
11181181

I red an attorney that would be paid a portion if I won the

Customer Question

I hired an attorney that would be paid a portion if I won the case. I did not win, but did receive a 50,000. inheritance. The attorney kept a portion of my inheritance. Was that lawful?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.
I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question.

Did you hire the attorney regarding the inheritance?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I contested a will from my aunt that originally had me as the one to inherit, until a long lost relative that no one had ever met talked her into changing the will for her benefit. I hired an atttorney to contest it, we both thought it was an easy case. I lost. But I was given 50,000. from her will. The attorney asked me to have all $ go through them. They took a portion of my inheritance as payment. was this legal?

Thanks
That depends on the contract you signed. You had a contract with the attorney, correct?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I believe I did. I moved so I may have lost it. Is there a way to get a copy from them?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will look for my papers and call you with more information. Thank you!

You need to find the contract. They can ONLY take your money IF you agreed to it in the contract.

Period.

So take a look to see what it provides...if there is nothing in the contract that says they can take the inheritance? Then they can not touch it

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.