Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  Litigation Attorney with education focus on estate planning and tax
84496330

How do I find out information about a trust that I believe

Customer Question

How do I find out information about a trust that I believe do exist. That I know that there is a such account?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 9 months ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

A trust is private information known only to the trustee, eventually the trust beneficiaries, and perhaps the attorney who drew it up, and is NOT public record. When the death of the grantor occurs, normally the trustee begins assuming his responsibilities and in most states, is supposed to notify the beneficiaries by mail that he has assumed those responsibilities. If you are a beneficiary of the trust, you can request a copy of the original trust document and an accounting/financial statement for each year the trust has been in existence. If the grantor is still living then you will not have access to any details of the trust until the death of the grantor. If there is no trustee and the grantor is dead then you will need to look for the attorney that drafted it or search possible financial institutions for possible names for the trust.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Just checking back in, did you have any further questions?