Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

My step-mother lives in Florida and is 85. My father died 10

Customer Question

My step-mother lives in Florida and is 85. My father died 10 years ago and my step-mother remarried. She is beginning to show signs of dementia. Unfortunately, all three of her step-children live in Missouri. We have concerns that her husband is neglecting her. He certainly has used a substantial amount of her assets to buy very expensive cars. What rights do we have to help her?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Has she been formally diagnosed by her doctors with dementia or Alzheimer's?

.

What evidence do you have of any neglect?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have not talked to the Doctor, but I do know he has prescribed medicine for her short term memory loss. Based upon my observations and those other family members that have spent time with her, she has some level of dementia and it is progressively getting worse.I just talked to her sister-in-law who visited her recently. While there she noticed that she wasn't taking her medicine as prescribed, she wasn't bathing regularly and she was concerned about her eating regularly. All somewhat circumstantial, but at least indicators her husband is not watching out for her.

Ok, then legally, unless you have a medical power of attorney or a legal guardianship over her, then you wouldn't have any legal standing to intervene. You could call the local adult protective services and file a complaint and then they would have to go out and pay them a visit to see if she was in any danger. If she was, they could take her into protective custody and provide medical care for her with her potentially being placed in a long term care facility.

.

.

thanks