Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

My father passed away almost 3 years ago. Before s death any

Customer Question

My father passed away almost 3 years ago. Before his death any unbeknownst to me he named me as the beneficiary on his policies. My mother is now claiming that the money ( about $60,000) is hers and she only had the policy changes to my name to reduce her assets. Her lawyer wants me to repay any money I used from the proceeds. Do I have to repay?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

You do NOT have to repay this. You were the named beneficiary and the policy gets paid directly to you outside of probate. So, it makes no difference what your dad's will might have provided because when there is a named beneficiary on a life insurance policy, the proceeds get paid to that beneficiary no matter what the will says and no matter what your mom may now claim. She and her lawyer may wish you would give her this money, but you certainly have no legal obligation to do so!

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!