RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

My son passed away two weeks ago.he had no will. I am 78

Customer Question

My son passed away two weeks ago.he had no will. I am 78 years old and do not know what to do. Can you help?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

I am so sorry for your loss of son.I know it can be overwhelming to deal with all of this.

Assuming he had some assets here there is a need for a probate lawyer and an application for court supervised probate.The court here will appoint you at hearing on your application to be the personal representative of the estate. You will be given letters of administration and sworn in.The letters give you legal authority to access funds and administer the estate.

You will need at that point to apply for an EIN number for his estate , this is used for estate account and any sales of property.This will be court supervised since there is no will here.

This will take about a year start to finish.You can locate a lawyer here.

http://www.lawyers.com/wills-and-probate/pennsylvania/find-law-firms-by-city/

Here is more information about intestate--that word means no will probate.

http://www.wolfbaldwin.com/Probate-Articles/Dying-Without-a-Will-Intestate-Succession.shtml

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have more follow up.If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always much appreciated.