Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

I have a question about MN estate law in the 40s regarding

Customer Question

I have a question about MN estate law in the 40s regarding adopted children being classified as "issue" or not.
Category: Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The trust using the term "issue" was signed in 40's. The adopted children were born and adopted in the 50s.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Pursuant to the MN statute 8630, from 1927 to 1940, An adopted child has rights of a natural child as next of kin. McKeown v . A. , 202M595 , 279NW402 . Se e Dun . Dig . 99a . This is for purposes of inheritance and for bringing even lawsuits for wrongful death. The legally adopted child is and was through MN legal history treated as a natural born child of the adopted parents.