LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney
Experience:  Private Practice; Elder Law Attorney; Estate Planning; Attorney Mentor
63726236

If my wife and I bought a peice of property and it is

Customer Question

If my wife and I bought a peice of property and it is considered community property, then later on added my grandmother to the deed, when my grandmother passes away does the property become my wife and I property again or will we have to worry about things like probate?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 10 months ago.

How would the grandmother's name be added to the deed? For example, joint tenancy with right of survivorship?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
when we added it there was none of that information put in the documents

So it was tenancy in common?

The reason I'm asking is because it impacts probate.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I would assume it is still a community property
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
we did a quitdeed form and just added her name

It will typically state how the parties hold title.

So if it is in joint tenancy, say there are 3 people, husband, wife and granny.

If granny dies first, then husband and wife automatically become the owners of the property-as it passes upon granny's death, by operation of law, to the joint tenancy survivors. This is a very effective and popular way to avoid probate.

If it is held as tenants in common, and one party dies, then the proeprty does need to be probated- granny's 1/3 interest would be included in her estate. In CA, probate fees are expensive:

up to 4% is payable to the court (of the value of the estate) not to mention any executor/attorney fees

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thank you for using JA. If you have further questions please post here and I will reply. Otherwise kindly rate Positively so the site credits me for assisting you today. Thank you and take care!

As for community property, that is any property that is acquired during marriage, except for by gift/inheritance:

Family code definition here:

760. Except as otherwise provided by statute, all property, real or personal, wherever situated, acquired by a married person during the marriage while domiciled in this state is community property.