Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

Attorney Barrister, I connected with you 12 days ago, "my

Customer Question

Hi Attorney Barrister,
I connected with you 12 days ago, "my significant other passed away". I Never got an answer....
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I am an attorney licensed in MA, although I cannot represent you, and I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
MA law does not recognize oral promises of post death bequests I am afraid. The significant other could have been in Foxboro Stadium during the Patriot's game on the video screen and made the promise to give you something after his death and it would not legally be enforceable in a MA court I am sorry to say. Any bequest after death has to be in a written testamentary document signed by the grantor and notarized. If he did not leave a will or trust naming you, I am afraid that his children (if any) or grandchildren would be the ones to inherit anything. If he has no children or grandchildren, then his parents and if no parents, then his siblings. That is the order of succession in MA without a will.