Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

I am a widow and have a 49 acre farm. I have 2grown children

Customer Question

I am a widow and have a 49 acre farm. I have 2grown children and 3 grown grandchildren. I want the farm to stay intact since most of them want to continue to live on it. Can I will that they all get the benefit of the farm as long as they live and the last living heir sell the property and divide it equally among my great grand children?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good evening. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Yes, you can accomplish this. But, the preferable way to do this in your will is to leave the property in a trust. Then the trust agreement will provide that it's for the benefit of the applicable parties for their live and then the property sold with the proceeds going to your great grandchildren. It's much easier to manage this by a trust that will own the property than to splinter the ownership among multiple parties.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!