Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  Estate planning and wealth preservation attorney.
63724254

My mother gave birth to me at age 18 before being married.

Customer Question

My mother gave birth to me at age 18 before being married. She gave me up to her Mother after which she married (not my father ) and had 4 girls. They are in her will but I am not. Her husband has passed away and mom is in an assisted living facility. All 4 girls are in her will but I am not. As 1st born male do I have any rights to her estate?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 10 months ago.

While North Carolina does not require that you leave anything to your adult children, you must meet certain criteria to do so effectively. To be safe, even if you are leaving a child nothing, you should specifically mention the child in the will. It may also help to state the reason the child is getting nothing or a reduced amount. If you don’t mention a child at all, the state may conclude that you did not intentionally exclude the child. There are often laws that protect children born after a will was written.

You may contest the will at the time of administration to seek a portion of the estate as a heir at the time of administration of the estate especially if the will does not specifically exclude you as a beneficiary.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for m time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thanks.

Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for m time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thanks.

Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.